It’s nearly Christmas time and this means chocolate! Over the Christmas period there is likely to be more chocolate around the household than usual, which means our pets sometimes getting a hold of it.
Chocolate contains theobromine that is highly toxic to our pets. The levels of theobromine do vary depending on the type of chocolate, dark chocolate being the most concentrated.
Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity
Dogs are more commonly known to ingest chocolate rather than cats, mainly because cats are more finicky eaters. Symptoms to watch out for if your pet has consumed any chocolate can include:
- Increased drinking
- Increased heart rate and muscle tremors
- Possible death
It is important you seek Veterinary assistance or advice as soon as possible. The Veterinarian will suggest to induce vomiting if your pet has consumed chocolate in the past 2 hours. If it has been longer than 2 hours activated charcoal will be administered to stop further absorption of the toxin.
If your pet is already showing signs of toxicity, medication is given to reduce the severity of seizures and tremors that could lead to dangerous heart conditions. Chocolate ingestion can sometimes be fatal if the right medication and treatment is not given soon after ingestion.
Please contact any of our 2 locations if your pet may have consumed chocolate this festive season!
You may also like
NEW BRAVECTO TWIST'N'USE It's true! Bravecto have released a new product that protects cats for up to 3 months against ticks and fleas. For a long time it has been difficult to protect cats against ticks due to a lack of practical and user friendly products, now MSD...read more
INDOOR TOILETING PROBLEMS IN CATS Marking or toileting? Indoor marking behaviour can be confused with a breakdown in toileting behaviour. Territorial marking by urine spraying which usually occurs against vertical objects such as chairs or walls and can be...read more
For the month of May get your dog’s 4th Synovan injection for free.read more