It’s nearly Christmas time and this means chocolate! Over the Christmas period there is likely to be more chocolate around the household than usual, which means our pets sometimes getting a hold of it.

Chocolate contains theobromine that is highly toxic to our pets. The levels of theobromine do vary depending on the type of chocolate, dark chocolate being the most concentrated.

Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity

Dogs are more commonly known to ingest chocolate rather than cats, mainly because cats are more finicky eaters. Symptoms to watch out for if your pet has consumed any chocolate can include:

  • Restlessness
  • Excitement
  • Hyperactivity
  • Nervousness
  • Trembling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Increased drinking
  • Urination
  • Increased heart rate and muscle tremors
  • Seizures
  • Possible death

It is important you seek Veterinary assistance or advice as soon as possible. The Veterinarian will suggest to induce vomiting if your pet has consumed chocolate in the past 2 hours. If it has been longer than 2 hours activated charcoal will be administered to stop further absorption of the toxin.

If your pet is already showing signs of toxicity, medication is given to reduce the severity of seizures and tremors that could lead to dangerous heart conditions. Chocolate ingestion can sometimes be fatal if the right medication and treatment is not given soon after ingestion.

Please contact any of our 2 locations if your pet may have consumed chocolate this festive season!

You may also like

Summer Dangers

Summer Dangers

With summer approaching, we decided it was a good time to alert our pet owners to the risk of heat stroke. Unlike people, most animals can’t sweat and have to lose excess heat through evaporation by panting. This makes it difficult for them to cool down and puts them at greater risk of heat stress on hot days and when doing strenuous exercise.

read more
Paralysis Ticks

Paralysis Ticks

Our pets love the summer just as much as we do! It’s a great time of year to be outside enjoying the warmth and sunshine but also important that you recognise the dangers of the Paralysis Tick to our pets during the warmer months. What are Paralysis Ticks and how do...

read more
Rehabilitation with Dr Montana Mays

Rehabilitation with Dr Montana Mays

New Rehabilitation Program at North Nowra Vets We are pleased to introduce our new rehabilitation service at North Nowra Veterinary Hospital. Dr Montana Mays has joined the team to provide her expertise in rehabilitation programs that assist dogs and cats during the...

read more