Sally presented to our Jervis Bay Clinic recently after her owners caught her eating the batteries of a hearing aid!

Batteries contain an acidic material that can cause severe ulceration to exposed tissues and necrosis of the gastrointestinal tract.
 
Radiographs were able to identify that the batteries had made their way into Sally’s stomach. Sally was promptly taken to surgery.
Cynthia and Dr Mick were able to successfully locate and safely remove the batteries before they caused any serious damage to Sally.
After surgery and two days of close monitoring in hospital, Sally was discharged and has made a full recovery.
 
Not only can hearing aids contain button batteries but so can children’s toys and many other devices. Always check what toys your pet has access to.
 
Here is Sally (and her support toy) with Dr Cynthia